Sunday, January 31, 2010

Dress up your Hallway

A lot of new houses don’t have hallways.  I think that’s unfortunate.  I like hallways, but it’s hard to know what to do with them.  Long narrow spaces- it’s hard to decorate.  I say- make it a feature.  For our hallway, we painted on side orange.  It is hard to get the color right in the photos since there’s no natural light coming in but it’s a more intense orange- like at the end of the hallway. I wanted to give it a real art gallery look so we added track lighting to point at the photos.  The frames I got at Aaron Brothers on a buy 1 get one for a penny sale.  All the pictures I took myself on vacation.  I don’t have a fancy camera or any photography skills (obviously by the look of these photos) but if you take photos outdoors then crop and send them to be enlarged at shutterfly or snapfish they look good enough to frame. 

  We have stained concrete in the back of our house.  You can read more about that HERE.

  If you can get it to work, hanging pictures on the wall that have some of the same colors of the paint behind it really help the colors pop (you can’t tell but the photo and the wall are similar colors.  I took this photo from my striped bathroom- you can see that HERE.

 January 119

Here’s a close up of the track fixture we got.  Don’t you just love the popcorn ceilings.  I could do a whole post on how I  don’t understand why anyone would ever put Styrofoam balls on the ceiling but I’ll spare you of that.  We didn’t scrape them before we moved in and now the task just seems to overwhelming.  I would love to have all my ceilings painted- so imagine that it is. 

 January 121 Here’s a view from the other side of the hallway.  The non-orange wall is painted Sherwin Williams Toasted Almond- pretty much my favorite color ever.  It looks better than it does in the picture… promise. 

This end of the hallway holds my diplomas and licenses.  I work in a cubicle so I don’t have a place to hang them at the office and, well, they just don’t go in my home office so this worked out to be the best place for them.  I paid too much for them to have them shoved in a closet.   

January 127 My last “trick”.  Try hanging the artwork differently than just straight down the hall.  I took the biggest picture and lined up all the rest either with the top or bottom edge of that picture.  It’s a little unexpected but not too crazy. 

Here’s some close up’s of my photos.  I’m telling you- it’s all about the cropping and the size.  If you have been afraid to put your own photos on the wall- don’t be.  It really makes it special and gives you an instant conversation topic when you are giving a tour of your home.

January 130

January 131 

January 132

Thanks for visiting.  This week I’m linking up with:

Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch

Made it for Monday @ Cottage Instincts

Make Your Monday @ Twice Remembered

Making the World Cuter

Room A Month Makeover @ The Shades of Pink

Toot Your Horn Tuesday @ Silly Little Sparrow

Power of Paint @ Domestically Speaking

Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Chic Cottage

Show and Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home

Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors

Please check out all the links.  You will find amazing designs by talented people.  I’m blown away at every one I see… and their blogs- amazing!

14 comments:

Sonia said...

Oh I love your hallway! Your photos are beautiful too...the lighting really highlights them well...if it makes you feel any better I have popcorn ceilings too..except for one room that we have just redone...it's a mess to do, so we are tackling it one room at a time. There not soooo bad when everything around them is pretty and distracts from them!
Have a great Monday...your hall looks awesome!

Miss Bloomers

Shannon said...

Hallways are awesome, and your right, not a lot of people have them. Not many new builds have them at all anymore, it is a shame. I love the color. I have an orange accent wall in my dinning room that I like. I have had it for a few years now though, and I am thinking of a change, but it is definitely still a great color.

Treasia Stepp said...

I love the hallway. What a wonderful way to showcase family portraits and artwork.

amberdawn said...

Looks awesome! And by the way...I love Toasted Almond AND Wilmington Tan. I think they are the 2 best colors ever!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love how you treated your long hallway, Cat. I have a long hallway as well, and before we put our house on the market, I had family pictures and the kids's certificates and things from school. It was a nice family gallery. Now we are off the market and while I won't put the same things back up, I do need to get something on those walls.

Anonymous said...

I love that Idea! It really does look so artsy! I need to get working on my hallway!

Anonymous said...

Looks great! We are slowly working on our hallway too, and have even discussed some sort of track lighting because it's dim.

Old Time Cindy said...

Very nice art gallery!
Cindy at Lakewood

Unknown said...

I so need to do this in my hallway. Mine is about as long as yours. We repainted last year and I haven't hung one single thing.
Thanks for the inspiration!

Gypsy Heart said...

Beautiful! I love photos ~ and you've done a great job with yours.

vignette design said...

This is such an original idea. It really adds interest to a long hallway. And the color is wonderful too.

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Great suggestions! Thanks for joining the Power of Paint Party.

Anonymous said...

nice post. thanks.

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

Love your hallway!! I think hanging your own photographs is one of the best ways to decorate. Great job :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails